Monday, July 16, 2012

feeling out of step

this morning i read a verse i've read hundreds of times (pretty sure that i even taught a bible study on it one summer)... but my eyes were open to a new view of it.  Galatians 5:25 says,
"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the spirit."

do you see it? so often we're living BY the spirit, but we sure aren't keeping in step with him.  being a believer in Jesus Christ i have his spirit within me, i'm reading his word often, i attend church, pray frequently, attempt to love others well, serve my family etc.  however, in the same moments, i am short tempered, easily annoyed, quick to bark at my children, short with my man, question God's love me, selfishly put myself before others, and feel entitled to things going my way.  this morning i was reminded that i have a God who shines light in dark places (like my heart).  He has given me a spirit to guide and lead me through all of my circumstances.  and that spirit... when i'm "keeping in step" bears fruit that looks like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control.  when i'm not seeing those things in myself and my family is not having those things splashed all over them- then i'm not in step!  

thinking and praying along those lines this morning, He lead me to psalms 51:10 which says, "create in me a pure heart and renew a steadfast spirit with me."  it is so easy for me to get down on myself and throw a mini pity party. am i alone in that?  quite often i feel that if i can't get it right then i should just throw in the towel! but honestly, friends.... this is when the growth occurs. this morning i'm asking the lord to renew a steadfast spirit in me no matter how many times it takes.  that may mean that i have to confess to my kiddos that my actions or words were not inspired by christ, ask the LORD to keep renewing, possibly turn on some jesus-loving music, muster up a smile, and keep going.... but at least we're learning, at least we're growing and if nothing else my family sees a woman who desperately needs and loves her savior!

anybody else with me today? 

whether we're wearing these shoes


 or this beat up pair

let not just live by the spirit, let's keep in step with him too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave us a note

Blog Archive