Tuesday, March 29, 2011

transparency

we've been discussing fasting in our community group at church. to be SUPER honest it is a discipline that i have never participated in fully. i've fasted from technology, or a particular food, but i have never gone without food. in celebrating discipline Richard Foster says, "more than any other discipline, fasting reveals the things that control us... we cover up what is inside us with food and other good things, but in fasting these things surface. "

in the past, i have not wanted to fast because i knew that i would be easily irritated upon the first sign of hunger. but since reading this book, i realize that i have never fasted because i'm scared to see my own sin.

the last few weeks i have not been food deprived, but i have been sleep deprived. that isn't fasting...but the results have been similar. my sin has made its way to the surface because i'm tired. the Lord has been trying to show me that HE IS ENOUGH. HE he is bigger than sleep. i can not use my lack of sleep as an excuse for being irritable... instead i have to dig deep and soak up the spirit that empowers me daily. and in so doing... i bring glory to God... for he is good all the time!!!

2 comments:

  1. thanks mandy!! you always keep me on my toes and spur me on to strive for the excellence of the Lord! you challenge me and encourage me! thanks for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete

leave us a note

Blog Archive