Saturday, June 1, 2013

It's that time of year again!!

Well friends, it’s that time of year again.  Mommas all over are gearing up for summer time!  If you’re anything like me, you’ve learned quickly that being one step ahead of your kids makes the days run more smoothly and being even a half step behind can break it!  We have a family tradition that encourages me to be creative with my kids without having to think too deeply from day to day.  Around our house, it’s called the “Summer Fun list.”  The week before school is out, the kids toss out ideas of activities, crafts, and things that they want to do this summer and we jot it down on a piece of paper.  I, of course, get ultimate veto power.  That helps me regulate the cost and intensity of each thing.  I like to pick things that are minimum prep work and involve things from around the house or dollar store supplies.  We also add any trips we are planning or camps they are attending.  Every year our list gets longer and every year it gets a little less intimidating.  If my list looks crazy to you… start smaller.  There are approximately eleven weeks in the summer so choose one thing for every week.  My favorite planned activity this year is also be the first one we will do.  It’s the spirit stick.  I’m going to find a large stick and use painter’s tape to divide in four parts.  Each of my kids will get to paint a section of it themselves.  The next day, after the stick is dry, we will discuss Galatians 5:22-23 and what each of those qualities look like.  I will award the stick to the first kid that I see demonstrate a fruit of the Spirit.  After that, it is up to them.  Each day the person with the stick will watch for those qualities in their siblings and encourage one of them by passing it on.  I’m hoping that this will not only be a fun summer activity but will also inspire sibling bonding and our pursuit toward Christ!

Here are a few links to past lists if you'd like more ideas.  feel free to ask me about any of ideas... most of them from the past two years can be found on pintrest!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave us a note

Blog Archive